If you’re evaluating ideas with a co-founder either because you’re starting something new or pivoting, here’s a way to make discussions easier - fill the YC application form. Simply filling the form gives you better clarity about your idea.
Here are the 10 questions I’ve selected from the YC application form which is now my “idea template”:
- What does your product do (in 50 characters or less)?
- How does it work (describe your product in more detail)?
- How do you know people want this?
- What’s new about your product?
- What do people do currently because they don’t have your product yet?
- Who are your competitors?
- What do you get about your business that other companies in it don’t?
- How will you make money? (Per customer/transaction/etc)
- How much money can you potentially make?
- How will you get users?